Today I stumbled upon a cool media player and I couldn't resist myself to share it with you all. Say hello to Olivia, a beautiful, modern and powerful cloud music player for Linux. It is online/offline cloud-based player like YouTube Music, iTunes and Spotify. Using Olivia, you can search and view the online streams as the way you do in YouTube, download the streams, create and manage your music library.
Table of Contents
Olivia comes with number of notable features, including the following:
- Search your favorite music online (both audio and video);
- Search YouTube and add your collections to a library;
- Play audio-only YouTube streams to save bandwidth;
- Download a media file while streaming;
- Search suggestions;
- Organize music;
- Built-in Internet radio that allows you to play more than 25k online radio stations;
- List and sort radio stations according to your country and language;
- It supports themes;
- Dynamic theme support based on album art;
- Player mini mode included;
- Top music chart, allows list top 100 songs country wise
- And more yet to come.
Install Olivia in Linux
To install Olivia all you have to do is run the following command from the Terminal:
$ sudo snap install olivia-test
After installing, Launch it from application or Terminal by running the following command:
If you're having any issues like big fonts or weird cursor, run this command instead:
$ QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE='gtk' olivia.test.olivia
This is how Olivia default interface looks like:
There is a search bar on the top center. Just use it to find your favorite streams and start playing them.
On the left pane, you will see various options such as,
- Main interface
- Top lists (country-wise sorted),
- Songs in your library,
- Saved albums,
- Music files sorted by Artists,
- Recently played items,
- Internet Radio.
Playing YouTube streams
Just in case you wanted to play a YouTube stream, click on the YouTube option on the left pane. Enter your search term on the Search bar and hit ENTER. Just pick one from the list and click on it. The selected item will added to the Youtube queue on the right. Just double click the media from the queue to start playing it.
Listening Radio stations
To listen to your favorite Radio station, click on Internet Radio on the left pane. You can search radio stations by country and language. Just enter those details, and pick anyone from the list to listen.
Olivia top lists
This is yet another interesting feature of Olivia. You can browse and play the top 100 songs country-wise. If you're music enthusiast who wants to listen some foreign songs, choose a country from the list and start playing the top 100 songs from the selected country.
- FreeTube – An Open Source Desktop YouTube Player For Privacy-minded People
- Mps-youtube – A Commandline YouTube Player And Downloader
- Cmus – A Powerful Console Music Player For Linux
- Musikcube – A Cross-platform Commandline Music Player
- CPod – A Simple, Beautiful And Cross-platform Podcast App
Olivia is still in early-development stage, so there will be bugs. While testing Olivia in my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop, I haven't had any issues so far. It just worked fine. If you encountered with any issues, do report them here.